Thursday, October 21, 2010

Kitchen Makeover Reveal!!

I know you've all been waiting patiently to see our finished kitchen so I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is.. here's some pics! The bad news is.. it's still not finished. But it's close enough, so here ya go.


We installed all the cabinets and counters, attached the doors, and sealed the counter tops. The shelves on the right were actually one column of six shelves from IKEA that we sawed in half to make two. Here's a close-up.


I love the way open shelving looks in a kitchen! Adding shelves here also helped brighten up the room rather than blocking the light from the big window. This shelf has vintage coffee and tea canisters (probably from a thrift store, I've had them a long time), jarred collections of sea glass and shells, and blue one-of-a-kind pottery created by an age 15 Marcus. Who knew he was so crafty?


The E-A-T on the windowsill are old wood letters, a gift that Mom found on Etsy. I was in the market for the word because we've had it in our kitchen at home for a long time. I found a girl selling vintage letters on Etsy and I sent her a message asking if she could give me a price for the E, A, & T together. She responded enthusiastically, "I sold the E but I can save the A & T for you! I'll make you a custom listing!" I had to respond and break the news that I wanted all three and just A + T does not an EAT make.


We just have the tiniest windowsill but I like how they lean there.


Notice the big hole on the other side of the kitchen? We have yet to install our range hood. Marcus thinks it will involve him climbing into our tiny attic and has been putting off further investigation of the issue. We'll get around to it eventually. Oh yea, and don't mind the open cabinet above the fridge. We had to return the doors we bought because they were the wrong style and haven't gotten around to installing the new ones yet.


We installed a few IKEA storage solutions. Here we have a rail with hooks for cooking tools. I also keep a glass with straws on the counter. I have a thing for straws. I drink coffee and tea with straws to avoid staining my teeth. I need to buy some of these cool reusable stainless steel straws to be a little more eco-friendly.


On the other side of the stove we installed a magnetic knife strip. I also stuck up our blue vintage spoon, another gift from Mom from Etsy. I wanted to hang it on the wall somewhere but we quickly ran out of wall space.

So there ya go! We still have a few things left to do but the kitchen is usable. We still need to install the range hood, cabinet doors, toe kicks, and drawer pulls. Right now you have to open the cabinet below the drawer you want to open or pry it open from the side, LOL. I love how the counters came out - the polyurethane made them super shiny and almost sparkly!

Last night the kitchen was put to the test when Marcus decided to make us chicken parm. And everything worked! Except for the fact that the recipe he used called for four cups of bread crumbs for two chicken breasts, but that's not the kitchen's fault.

Whaddya think??

12 comments:

  1. I have to say that the counters came out better than I expected. And they're so water repellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kitchen looks GREAT!! You both did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, this looks fantastic! I love the magnetic knife holder and the wooden E, A, T letters! Nice job guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you throw a knife at the magnetic strip does it stay there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! wow you guys did an amazing job! I have the same hanging ikea thing on the wall and magnetic knife block
    gotta love ikea!
    Congrats and keep cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Megan - what are some of your favorite food blogs? I read The Kitchn but that's really the only one..

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your kitchen, very cute! what kinda pie have ya got there?! i love food blogs/sites. one of my faves is tastespotting.com and i love this girl's blog- http://www.visionsofsugarplum.com/. she is so cute and funny, check her out, kir.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The kitchen looks so fresh and beachy. And so clean! Congrats on your first DIY project together. Ans congrats on the chicken parm, Marcus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Especially the combination possibilities. For afternoon and late night, EAT becomes TEA. For post-dinner and lunch, EAT becomes ATE. For Canadian visitors, EAT becomes EA? Don't forget your favorite movie, ET?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Andrew: Yeah, they'll stick if thrown at the correct angle. Protip: don't try this at home. Or at my home.

    @Mark, I was playing around with Photoshop's HDR capabilities with some of these pictures and made this, which I thought was pretty cool:
    http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9343/mod11.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful Kira! Congratulations on getting it done. Love the EAT & the pottery

    ReplyDelete
  12. you guys did a great job. everything looks wonderful. i really like the way you blurred the"other" rooms in the background. nice attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete