Saturday, August 14, 2010

Leg 5: Holbrook, AZ to Kingman, AZ (via the Grand Canyon)


Miles traveled: 454 miles
Time traveling: 11 hours
Average speed: 41 mph
States traveled: Arizona

Having reserved today mostly for sightseeing, we set out pretty early and grabbed breakfast at a Mexican joint near our motel. We're both big fans of Mexican food, and our huevos rancheros were delicious.


Our first stop was the Petrified Forest National Park and the Painted Desert. The park is a 28 mile loop with several pull-off points to look around and take photos.


The first stop was at the actual forest area. These trees are around fifty to two hundred MILLION years old. They became petrified when they got covered in mud, sand, or volcanic ash and submerged in water, causing the minerals in the sand to soak into the cells of the wood.


The different colors seen in the wood are created by different minerals: iron, the main ingredient, causes reds and oranges, copper causes blues or greens, quartz causes white or gray, and manganese and carbon add black.


We hopped back in the car and continued along the trail. These next pictures are known as "Teepees" because of their shape. The bands of different colors are due to the different concentrations of minerals in the soil.


They were very pretty but it was hot hot HOT out there in the desert. We only made a couple more stops on the trail before moving on. Our next stop, recommended by the book, was a little place called Stewart's Petrified Wood.


It's pretty hard to miss due to its giant dinosaur statues, teepees, and a yellow school bus perched on a cliff above it.


It's illegal to take pieces of petrified wood from inside the park, but it is collected and sold legally from private properties in the area. This place had tons!


These raw pieces were being sold at $2/pound, but there were also shiny, polished pieces for several hundred dollars per slice. Also for sale were meteorites, fossils, carvings, and ostrich eggs. Oh, did I forget to mention the ostriches?


There was a huge pen of ostriches next to the shop laden with huge signs saying things like "Ostriches bite!" and "We are not responsible for accidents!" So we were understandably a little cautious when we went over to see them. They did not seem particularly friendly. The man in the shop asked me if I wanted to feed them and I said, "But the sign says they bite!" and we said "Nahhh, they won't bite you!" Alright, guy, I'm not buying that. He said they have over a hundred ostriches!

We left pretty soon after that because I got bit (stung?) by what I assume was a fire ant. I've never encountered fire ants before, but as soon as I felt what it did to my leg, I was pretty sure that's what it was. It burns!!

We continued on to the Grand Canyon, and let me tell you, that is one big hole!! We really lucked out because apparently this weekend was a "fee-free" weekend, and we got free admission to both the Petrified Forest AND the Grand Canyon (would've been $10 + $25).


The South Rim of the canyon has about a 25 mile trail to drive along with look-out points throughout. Each point gave a totally different view of the canyon.


We were able to wander around a little bit at each look-out and Marcus had a lot of fun scaring me by climbing out on rocks to take pictures.


I tried to explain to him that no one would be able to tell if his pictures were taken from a slightly more dangerous spot, but he said that wasn't the point. What do I know? Just about as soon as we got out of the car, I tripped on a rock, stumbled toward the edge, and cut my foot. It was a high-injury day for me.


It was pretty spectacular, and we were both really glad we went. I don't really think you can get a sense of how big it is just by looking at a few views of it. The whole thing is over one million acres! That's crazy!


I hope you've all enjoyed reading along with our journey, because at this time tomorrow, we'll be at our house in California! If you've been keeping up with us, please leave a comment so I know who's out there. (I know a lot of people have been clicking through from Facebook, tell me who you are!)

9 comments:

  1. Mom's here! Great photos. No more injuries, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Long time reader, first time commenter. Your huevos rancheros look poached. Were they poached?

    -Miley Cyrus

    ReplyDelete
  3. the photos of the Canyon are awesome. tell Marcus to stay away from the edge. that's what that big-ass telephoto lens is for! also, please don't stop bloggin'. it's great to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well kir, seems like you both had a great trip. and now i have seen and learned about the grand canyon, so i won't need to go there myself! sorry about your injuries, glad ya didn't feed the ostriches. might have added to your boo boos! welcome to your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kira & Marcus!

    It looks like you had an awesome time! I've enjoyed reading your blogs the whole time and can't believe you guys are there already (that was really fast!) Good luck on the last leg of your trip... I'll be thinking of you!!
    ~Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am surprised by your injuries, you are usually so not clumsy...were your channeling me? haha The Grand Canyon looks amazing though and I enjoyed the ostrich video!

    Also, I know your trip is over, but I expect house decorating updates too! good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your trip. Now I know I MUST go out west; so beautiful!
    Like Shellby, I will be checking for California posts about your new home. Hope you love it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg how cool! the view is beautiful! was it windy? swindy? lol. you're almost there! miss you kirs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aunt Linda is here. I have enjoyed tagging along on your trip, and look forward to updates on the new life in CA.

    ReplyDelete